Lee Mills, Jr., M.D., MMM, CPE, FAAFP, serves as Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer at CommunityCare of Oklahoma, a regional provider-owned non-profit health plan offering commercial, individual exchange, work comp, and Medicare Advantage coverage. He leads the organization’s clinical areas and is responsible for the delivery of high-quality, cost-effective services to CommunityCare members.
Prior to joining CommunityCare, Dr. Mills served as Administrative Medical Director for Ascension St. John Clinic from 2015 – 2020, and Medical Director for Patient Care Systems at Via Christi Health in Wichita, Kansas from 2009 – 2015.
Board-certified in Family Medicine, Hospice and Palliative Care, and Clinical Informatics, he has extensive clinical practice, management, and leadership experience and was named a Health Care Hero by the Wichita Business Journal in 2013.
Driven to improve the quality and experience of care for patients and providers alike, Dr. Mills’ prior adventures in healthcare leadership and delivery innovation include:
• Serving on the US HHS Physician Focused Payment Model Technical Advisory Committee (PTAC)
• Leading clinical participation in CPCI and CPC+
• Successful transformation of 3 clinic sites into NCQA Level III Patient Centered Medical Homes
• Serving as Medical Director and Chief Quality Officer for two different MSSP/ACO’s
• Leading a CMMI Innovation Program around the Patient Centered Medical Neighborhood
• Developing and driving systematic adoption of high value clinical services (including ambulatory Nurse Care Manager program, Medicare Wellness Visits, Transition Care Management)
• Integrating behavioral health and primary care with embedded behaviorists
• Twelve-year AAFP representative to the AMA RBRVS Update Committee (AMA RUC)
• Past Chair of American Academy of Family Physicians Commissions on Quality and Practice
• Past President and Board Chair of Kansas Academy of Family Physicians; Member of Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Academy of Family Physicians, and OAFP Alternate Delegate to the AAFP Congress of Delegates
Dr. Mills earned a Doctor of Medicine from the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, a master’s degree in Medical Management form Carnegie Mellon University. Dr. Mills was Clinical Associate Professor of Family and Community Medicine at the University of Kansas School of Medicine -Wichita, where he taught and precepted medical students over 15 years.
Dr. Mills is married to Dianna Mills, PsyD, a counseling psychologist. They have three sons, Matthew (age 21), Mark (age 19), and Micah (age 16). The family enjoys fitness and sports (soccer, tennis, cross-country), innumerable school activities, music (piano, viola, violin, cello), Boy Scouts, church activities, and pets.