The CEO and Founder of MyHealth Access Network, Inc., (MyHealth) has been elected to another national board. David Kendrick, MD, MPH, is now on the board of the Strategic Health Information Exchange Collaborative (SHIEC), the national trade association of health information exchange (HIE) organizations.
HIEs use information technology and trusted relationships in their service areas to enable secure, authorized exchange of patient information among disparate providers. By providing enhanced access to all available and relevant patient data SHIEC HIE members aim to improve the quality, coordination, and cost-effectiveness of health care provided in their communities.
The purpose of the SHIEC is to improve the common business interests of its members, and specifically include:
- Achieving economies of scale without losing autonomy or compromising the ability of each member to serve local interests and meet local needs;
- Promoting the improvement of business conditions for and the sustainability of health information exchanges;
- Education of public and private entities as to the benefits, functions and roles of health information exchanges in general;
- Attempting to influence legislation germane to the common business interests of the Corporation members; and
- Carrying on other activities which are in furtherance of the purposes described above
Kendrick chairs the Department of Medical Informatics at the University of Oklahoma’s School of Community Medicine, and serves the OU Health Sciences Center as the Assistant Provost for Strategic Planning. Dr. Kendrick is a member of the Board of Directors of the National Committee for Quality Assurance, and convening faculty for the Comprehensive Primary Care Initiative. Dr. Kendrick has been appointed Senior Counsel for Interoperability to the National Coordinator for Health IT.
MyHealth is a non-profit coalition that serves more than 4 million patients and is focused on improving health in Oklahoma and beyond by implementing a community-wide infrastructure for healthcare IT. MyHealth is focused on providing advanced health information exchange, community-wide care coordination tools, and a robust decision support platform to support providers striving to provide high quality care in the face of overwhelming data availability.